Be a Mentor
Pharmacy students are faced with tough decisions as they consider careers in a wide variety of pharmacy settings, including hospitals, chain pharmacies, and independent pharmacy. Many students are not aware of the benefits of owning their own business, or even thinking about their future career as a pharmacist.
The Mentorship Program is designed to connect students and dynamic independent pharmacy owners to explore ownership as a career path; a real world experience where a mentor will take a student under their wing. The focus of this mentorship is in owning/operating independent pharmacy. The Mentorship Program provides the connections between independent pharmacy owners and students, and highlights the importance of being an active member with NCPA and/or PSSNY. More importantly, it helps bridge the gap between potential owners, potential sellers, as well as future employers and employees.
- Mentors much have at least 2 years of ownership experience
- Responsibilities of mentor include:
- communicating with mentees on a regular basis
- provide inside industry expertise
- provide networking and coaching opportunities
Be a Mentee
The program is designed to inspire ownership and motivate future owners. It is designed to teach and acquire the all-around knowledge of owning and running an independent pharmacy business. For mentors, the program is designed to provide the opportunity for leadership as well as the opportunity to give back to the profession, by having an impact on student lives and career paths. The program is not designed to be a job interview, be a requirement for a student to work in the pharmacy, or provide any promise for future employment.
Pharmacy students need to hear firsthand from independent community pharmacists why community pharmacy is their best option. Becoming an independent owner, or even working in the community setting, is as rewarding of an experience as you can have as a pharmacist. Help pass on your legacy of helping others by becoming part of the NCPA/PSSNY Mentorship Program today.
- Mentees must be in good academic standing within his/her academic program.
- Responsibilities of the mentee include:
- maintain professionalism in all forms of communication with his/her mentor
- develop an agenda outlining his/her goals for the mentorship term, which should be the focus of regular communication with his/her mentor, and ensuring you are making the most of the mentor’s volunteered time.
Simply fill out the questionnaire and contact information and either email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax back to NCPA at (703) 683-3619. You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been approved and you have been accepted into the Mentorship Program.
Questions and comments can be directed to Terry Towers, PSSNY's Pharmacy Practice Coordinator at email@example.com or 800-632-8822.
Fall 2016 Application - Program Start Date November 14, 2016
Working together in New York State to promote independent pharmacy.